A time to play

14 May 2009

Faith stops for a smile.

Grace is having fun.

Painting away.

Grace shows me her purple.

Faith uses pink.

We also made hand prints.

Faith's hands.

Grace's hands.

Today I chose to paint with my children. I purposely made a point to spend some time engaging with my kids. I have to confess that on most days, time just slips away from me because I'm too preoccupied with managing my children instead of nurturing them. Don't get me wrong, keeping my kids fed and my house clean are important but taking time to nurture my children's spirit is something that they will remember forever. I also find that just because I'm a stay-at-home mom, it doesn't necessarily mean that I am actively entering into their world everyday. Too often, I find myself wondering where my day went and what did I really do with my kids today? Did I play that game that they like? Did I teach them something new? Did I speak about the Lord enough today? All valid questions and certainly not meant to bring on any guilt or blame. To the contrary, I'm beginning to use these questions to acknowledge what my heart's been nudging me to do. I also find that because they have each other, it's very easy for me to say that they are happily entertaining themselves. It's an easy cop out, I know.

Like most families, in our house, daddy is considered the unspoken "fun one." I guess that would make me the "un-fun" one?? My hope is that there can be a little more balance before too many years go by. I will always remember what my sweet friend, Jan told me. Jan has two grown sons and she is my mother's age. She said that her biggest regret as a mom was that she didn't spend more time playing with her kids. She was too busy fretting over what needed to be done and how everything looked on the outside. Wow, I could easily see myself with that same regret 20 years from now if I don't start making a conscious effort today. One day soon, my little girls will not be so little anymore. These are the kind of memories that I want them to cherish with me. There's no time to delay. It's time to play!

The Letter 'W' said...

those pics are adorable!! i just finished reading dr. laura's book "in praise of stay at home moms" and she said you have to make a decision to not just be a stay at home mom but to ENJOY being a SAHM. i needed to hear this, too. then josh told me he would rather come home to a messy house and happy family then a neat house and stressed out family. i am trying to take that to heart.

RitzFamily said...

Looks like you guys had a blast! Dr. Laura's book is amazing. It's an easy read that affirms you as a SAHM or as she likes to also say Homemaker. You have summed up my daily struggle with Caleb! :) I always find myself checking the clock when I am playing with Caleb, thinking of what needs to be done next. In the end I've never really engaged with him. It's definitely a choice to actively participate and enter into their wild worlds. Why it's hard, I'll never no. Every time I "let loose" and find my balance it's some of the best days/times we have share together. Faith and Grace are blessed to have a Mom who is willing to look at her weaknesses and ask the Lord for help to fix them! Good Job!
Janette

Coombs said...

love it!
Rhonda

2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -