Life lessons (from my kitchen)

05 December 2008

Festive supplies.

Sweet treats.

Wrapped with love.

I decided that I would try to make a few homemade gifts this year. Since I don't know how to sew and I'm not very crafty, that left me with one possible talent... cooking. And since I'm terrible at baking, that was pretty much out of the question. I found 2 recipes online that required no baking so I thought I'd give them a try. I made chocolate fudge and white chocolate peppermint bark to give away to some friends. Surprisingly, they were both quite easy and turned out pretty good for my first attempt. I placed the treats in little silver Chinese take-out boxes and wrapped them up in cellophane paper. I tied them with a sparkly ribbon and added a festive gift tag. They came out super cute and very personal. In the afternoon, I planned to take the girls with me to drop them off to our friends. When I told Morgan what we were planning to do, he decided that he wanted to come along and just like that- a new family tradition was born! The girls took turns giving out the treats and even managed to get a sample at Teagan's house. Hopefully, our kids will learn that gifts don't always have to be purchased. They have just as much value (if not more) when they can be made with our hands and given from our hearts.

There are many lessons to be learned in my kitchen. I'm realizing that when I think I'm shaping the character of my children, it's often really God who is using my children to shape me. Lately, the things that they've been saying are both funny and eye opening at the same time. Thankfully, nothing that they've done or repeated has been bad but it just shows us how much their little minds can retain at this age. The old adage is definitely true, "Actions do speak louder than words." My actions and the way I treat others, has a more profound impact on my children than anything I can ever say to them in mere words. Note to self... Speak less and show more love and compassion whenever possible.

Fudge
1 box (1 lb) powdered sugar
1/2 c. cocoa
1/4 c. milk
1/2 tsp. salt
1 stick butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. chopped pecans
Mix powdered sugar, cocoa, milk, and salt together in a microwave-safe bowl.
Cut the butter into small pieces and add. Microwave on high for 2 minutes.
Stir; add vanilla and nuts. Pour into a greased 8 x 8 inch pan.
Cut into squares when cool.

Peppermint Bark
1 cup crushed candy canes
2 lbs. white or milk chocolate
2 tsp. peppermint extract

Place candy canes in a plastic bag and hammer into 1/4-inch chunks or smaller.
Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or microwave for 2 mins.
Combine candy cane chunks with chocolate (add peppermint flavoring at this point if desired.) Pour mixture onto a cookie sheet layered with parchment paper.
Place in the refrigerator for 1 hour or until firm.
Remove from cookie sheet and break into pieces (like peanut brittle.)

*Yikes! Just realized that this is my 400th post!
Danielle said...

It was such a sweet surprise and wonderful to see you all! The treats are delicious. Aaron was in heaven with white chocolate peppermint bark. Thanks a ton, we love you all!

The Letter 'W' said...

I agree! As the boys grow we want them to be a part of making Christmas presents. There are many lessons to be learned in the kitchen- Teagan loves to help me make dinner every night. And we are thankful the lessons in your kitchen were so yummy! :)

Hailey said...

Okay - can I just tell you that our goodie box is GONE! That's right - it hasn't even been 24 hours! Seriously. I made us such a healthy dinner with turkey and veggie lettuce wraps, and then we all snorked the treats right afterwards! Thanks friends. What a fantastic tradition!

2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -