Heart & Seoul

10 March 2007

My experience in Korea was enlightening to say the least. I am so happy and grateful to have had the opportunity to visit my birth country as well as the country where our girls were born. South Korea has a booming economy today and in many ways, they are more technologically advanced than the rest of the world. Korea is an interesting mix of both the modern and traditional. Their simple customs are pleasantries that we've grown to enjoy and appreciate in the short time that we were there. They revere their elders and take great pride in providing higher education to their children. We did not see any homeless people on the streets of this big city. We think it's because the family unit is much stronger there and families tend to take care of each other.

Even though I was born in Seoul, I've always been more of an "American girl."
I was always taught to be proud of being Korean but up until this trip, I don't think I fully understood why. Sometimes, as a child, the last thing you want to celebrate is being different. During my childhood years, my family practiced and taught us all of the traditional Korean customs while still embracing the American way of life. It's sort of hard to explain in words but I feel like after visiting Korea, I have come full circle. The funny thing is... I didn't know I was missing anything until I came here. I've gained a better understanding and appreciation for Korea as a country, its people, culture, rich history and my own family.
It has been an wonderful journey of the heart and one that I would not have truly understood or gained without going to Korea to meet our girls. God has been so good and faithful. We cannot even begin to express our joy and gratitude. Now that we have met our girls and spent some time with them, I just stare at them and marvel at the double blessing that God had in store for us. In them, I see God's heart. His love.

Morgan and I both feel as though we want to learn more about Korea, not only for ourselves but also for our daughters one day. Morgan has adopted Korea along with his girls too. Sometimes, he uses the term "us" when he speaks of Koreans :) Someday, we hope to take our girls back to experience their heritage and birth country, just as I have.
2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -