Sanctity of Human Life Month

11 January 2007

January is Sanctity of Human Life Month. It is held on the Sunday closest to the anniversary of the January 22, 1973 decision by the U.S. Supreme Court to legalize abortion in the Rowe vs. Wade case. On this Sunday, many churches will talk about preserving life, what God says about human life in the bible, and provide tools and resources regarding adoption. According to Focus on the Family, 44 percent of all American women will have an abortion at some point in their lifetime. More than a million American women will have an abortion this year.

For obvious reasons, I have a passionate heart for women who choose to courageously birth their babies, regardless of their circumstances. Morgan and I have been supporting Harvest Home in Santa Monica for a couple of years now and more recently, Miriam House, here in the desert. Both are non-denominational, Christ-centered programs where women in crisis pregnancy are provided with love and care, while being offered a stable environment where their physical, emotional and spiritual needs can be met. The ultimate goal of these homes is to have each woman leave spiritually stronger, with a greater sense of self-worth and better prepared to support and care for herself and her child.

God's word is full of references that life begins in utero. For example, when Elizabeth, Mary's cousin (and the mother of John the Baptist) finds out that Mary is pregnant, she cries out, "Blessed among woman are you and blessed is the fruit of your womb!" When does life begin? I know this is the cause of many debates today but in my mind, God leaves no doubts. God does not create a life without purpose.

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be."
Psalm 139: 13-16

In his book "Twice Adopted," Michael Reagan (the eldest son of the late President Reagan), writes that he celebrates two Mother's Days each year. In honor of his mother Jane Wyman, he celebrates the traditional Mother's Day in May. In honor of his birth mother, he celebrates Mother's Day on January 22nd, the date of the landmark decision of Roe vs. Wade. On this day, he recognizes the fact that his birth mother chose to give him life; a life full of ups and downs but ultimately a life that he is grateful to have. I couldn't be more thankful to the young woman who bravely give birth to our twins. She was certainly making a choice for the babies, rather than herself. Isn't that what love is?
2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -