Spring 2021 Book Review

31 May 2021

I can't believe it's almost June and summer is officially here! 
These last few months have flown by. We have been firming up details on our new home (which is an incredible, miraculous story!). We'll be closing escrow this week and moving soon. Excited doesn't even begin to describe how we feel. God has been so amazing to show up BIG TIME through this process of finding a new home in TX and it hasn't been easy. But He is so so good, y'all! 

This Spring, as a result of all that's been going on, I haven't been able to read as much as I'd like, but I managed to get through about 2 books a month. 

So, here we go! 

Rules by Cynthia Lord is a Newberry Honor Book about a 12 yo girl, Catherine who just wants to live a normal life but it seems impossible when you have a brother with autism and their family revolves around his disability. She has spent years trying to teach David the rules from "a peach is not a funny looking apple" to "keep your pants on in public." But then Catherine meets Jason, a surprising new sort of friend and her own shocking behavior turns everything upside down and forces her to ask: What is normal? I got this book to read aloud to the girls because being a sibling of a brother with special needs is sometimes tough. Although Zach does not have autism (there was a time when we thought he did), he does however have ADHD and there have been many moments when we, as a family, have had to revolve around him and his pressing needs. God has used Zach to teach us all more about compassion and patience. For that. I'm so grateful! We sure do love you, buddy! 


I haven't talked much about Zach's special needs on here because there was a time when we weren't quite sure of his diagnosis. A couple of years ago, when we first had him tested, we got some conflicting information. Since then, we've had more evaluations and now, we are more certain of his ADHD diagnosis. Cindy Goldrich's 8 Keys to Parenting Children with ADHD has been the best book I've read on the subject so far! I felt like she really gets it. She understands everything Zach and our family goes through. The book helped to confirm the complexities that come from ADHD. It's much more than just attention or hyperactivity. A must read for those who have a child with ADHD.


After reading all that deep thinking stuff, my head needed something light so the next two books, I read while we were on vacation in Cancun. I actually listened to them on Audible because I wanted to hear them in the author's own voice. Whiskey in a Teacup by Reese Witherspoon was an entertaining and delightful read. The title refers to Reese's grandmother, Dorothea. She called the combination of beauty and strength in Southern women like "whiskey in a teacup." Full of childhood stories, lifestyle and entertaining tips, southern holiday traditions, and midnight barn parties, as well as her fail-proof hot roller technique and grandma Dorothea's favorite recipes. What's not to like?


I also listened to Jessica Simpson's memoir, Open Book
This was definitely an indulgent vacation kind of book. We get a glimpse into Jessica's life, told in her own words and voice. She shares about her religious upbringing, the sexual abuse she experienced that led her to alcoholism, her failed marriage to Nick Lachey, her steamy and unhealthy romance with John Mayer, the unconventional road that led her to her now husband and children, and her quest to find her real self amid all the fame and fortune. Can I say I was actually impressed? She's a lot more than what the media portrays her to be. Her willingness to be vulnerable and real will resonate with her fans and also create new ones.


Next, I read Live Original by Sadie Robertson to the girls. I think we picked this up at a thrift store. It was well worth it in my opinion. My girls don't know much about Sadie or her family but still, it was full of good information. How she stays grounded in her faith as a teenager, how she respects her parents and elders, how she loves her relationships with each of her siblings, and how she intends on staying pure for marriage. A good read for 13-16 year olds.
    


And last but not least, I read Lies Young Women Believe by Wolgemuth and Gresh. 
Wow, this book was SO GOOD. 
I can't recommend this enough. Every chapter became like a bible study and I shared some deep and wonderful conversations with my girls. This is one of the best teen books we've read together so far!

I know I'll be busy with the move and just trying to get settled but hopefully, I'll have time to read some good books this summer, too. Happy summer reading! 😎🌞
 

12/30

2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -