September 2020 Book Review

30 September 2020


It's the last day of September and that means it's time for my monthly book review! 

With having gone on vacation this month, I thought I'd get through more reading but it just didn't happen. 
Oh, well. This month was a mixed bag of sorts. 

Because I really loved Let Them Be Kids by Jessica Smartt last month, I picked up her other book, 
Memory Making Mom. 

I read this on the plane while we were headed to our vacation so it was perfect. 
Again, I like Jessica because she writes in a very relatable, humble, and approachable way. 
I appreciated not only the countless practical suggestions but more importantly, the reminder of the "why" behind making the memories. 
I'm all about trying to create intentional traditions for my family so this book was right up my alley. 
It's a sweet encouragement for moms who feel like they lack the time or energy to create anything meaningful and lasting for their kids. No guilt or shame here, only inspiration to begin right where you are today. A win!


I've been looking into the Brain Balance Centers for Zach and this book was a natural place to start considering the concept was founded by Dr. Robert Melillo. 
Disconnected Kids echoed much of the information I've already read on neurological disorders.
Maybe if I had read this first, I would have enjoyed it more but I found the information to be somewhat repetitive. I also thought the last part of the book was off-putting since the exercises were written in prose and therefore, difficult to understand (and that was supposed to be the practical part!). Nevertheless, I definitely plan to look into the brain balance method a little further. This book was just OK for me. 


Lastly, I picked up Crash the Chatterbox by Steven Furtick after our trip to NC because we almost attended Elevation Church while we were there. Well, we would've attended except for the fact that churches were still closed for in-person services. Pastor Furtick is the lead the pastor at Elevation and yes, it's the same church where Elevation Worship comes from.
This book is about overpowering the lies of insecurity, fear, condemnation, and discouragement with the promises of God. I don't know about you but sometimes, the dialogue that goes on in my mind will often discourage or paralyze me. With relatable vulnerability, Furtick shares his own struggles with trying to crash the chatterbox.
   
I have to say, I wasn't sure how much I'd like this book because after watching a couple of his sermons online, it just wasn't my preferred style of teaching. HOWEVER, I felt like this book was solid.
I'm glad I read it because it reminded me that we have to tune out the mindless chatter to really hear the voice of God. And we all mess up sometimes but God already knows that about us and yet He still loves us anyway. A simple truth and reminder but one that bears repeating. 

So that's it! 

We have another trip planned next week so hopefully, I'll get to read a little more than I did this month. 

34/50 

2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -