Pioneer Woman’s Easy Chicken Pot Pie!

26 August 2013

chicken pot pie
So, last week was a great week in my kitchen. At least that’s what the 3 people I live with tell me.
I made 3 new recipes and all three were a hit! This, however, was the show stopper.

chicken pot pie 007
The yummy filling.

chicken pot pie 008

chicken pot pie 010

chicken pot pie 013
One night last week, we had planned on going out for sushi but at the last minute, I decided to make this instead. Why? Because when it rains here in the desert, we can look outside and pretend the weather has turned cool and maybe, just maybe, fall is around the corner! (Even if it’s still 90 degrees outside).
On our recent road trip, we stopped at a local diner in Richfield, UT where Morgan and the girls ordered a chicken pot pie, which they all split. They devoured the entire dish and practically licked the plate afterwards. It was that good.
So, when I saw that the Pioneer Woman had her own version of easy chicken pot pie, I decided to give it a whirl.
To tell you the truth, I’ve always been a bit intimated by anything pie related. After all, pie involves baking and baking requires science. So not my thing.
Anyway, when I was given the go-ahead by the Pioneer Woman to make this dish with rotisserie chicken and store bought pie crust-- well now, that’s how I roll!
I’m not much of a meal planner to begin with. Sure, I think about a few dishes I’d like to make for the week before I shop and yes, I’m always thinking about food. However, often times, I fly by the seat of my pants. I suppose I like spontaneity.
Anyhow, back to this easy and delicious creation. The girls helped me chop the veggies and shred the chicken. The whole thing came together rather quickly. In fact, including the 30 minutes of bake time, it only took an hour from start to finish.
The PW’s recipe only uses a top crust so I feel like it’s a tad healthier than the traditional chicken pot pie. And of course, you know I had to tweak the recipe a little, too.
My family was OVER THE MOON. In fact, they’ve all requested this meal for Christmas dinner.
Pioneer Woman’s Easy Chicken Pot Pie (adapted)
Ingredients
  • 2 Tablespoons Butter
  • 1/2 cup Finely Diced Onion
  • 1/2 cup Finely Diced Carrot
  • 1/2 cup Finely Diced Celery
  • 1/2 cup green frozen peas
  • 1 ear of fresh corn kernels
  • 3 cups Shredded Cooked Chicken Or Turkey
  • 1/4 cup Flour
  • 2 to 3 cups Low-sodium Chicken Broth (start with 2 cups and see if you like the thickness)
  • 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric (a must!)
  • Salt And Pepper, to taste
  • Dried or fresh thyme to taste
  • a splash of Half-and-half Or Cream (optional)
  • 1 whole Unbaked Pie Crust
  • 1 whole Egg
  • 2 Tablespoons Water
Preparation Instructions
Preheat the oven to 375 F.
Melt the butter in a large pot over medium-high heat, then add the onion, carrots, celery, corn, and peas. Stir them around until the onions start to turn translucent, about 3 minutes.
Stir in the chicken or turkey and then sprinkle the flour over the top and stir it until it’s all combined with the turkey and vegetables. Cook for 1 minute, then pour in the chicken broth and stir it around and let it cook and thicken.
Once it starts to thicken add the turmeric, salt, pepper, and thyme.
Add the half-and-half or cream, then stir the mixture and let it bubble up and thicken, about 3 minutes. If it seems overly thick, splash in a little more broth. Turn off the heat. You can also omit the cream altogether or add arrowroot to thicken the filling.
Pour the filling into a 2-quart baking dish. Roll out the pie crust and lay it over the top of the dish. Press the dough so that the edges stick to the outside of the pan. Use a knife to cut little vents here and there in the surface of the dough.
Mix together the egg with 2 tablespoons water and brush it all over the surface of the crust. (You will have some egg wash left over.)
Place the pie on a baking sheet and bake for 30 to 45 minutes, until the crust is deep golden brown and the filling is bubbly. To prevent the crust from getting too brown, you might want to cover it lightly with foil for the first 15-20 minutes of baking time.
Let it rest for a good 15 minutes then serve it up by the spoonful.
The second time I made this, my family requested a side of biscuits for dipping into the juices so I was happy to oblige. I have to say, everything I’ve made from the Pioneer Woman has been easy and super tasty. And, I am no longer intimated by chicken pot pie… Win!
So, whether you use a homemade pie crust or the “semi-homemade” version like me, I hope you enjoy this recipe. It’s definitely a new family favorite around here. Ah, comfort food at it’s finest!
Is it fall yet?









2019 © BRAVE SOUL - THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -